This past weekend Diana Nyad, at age 64, became the first person to swim from Cuba to Florida without a shark cage or swim fins, swimming from Havana to Key West. This is really an amazing accomplishment and testament of what one can accomplish if they truly desire it.
It took Nyad 5 attempts to accomplish her goal and she did it at a stage of life when most people would never dream of taking on such an endeavor. She swam continuously for over 50 hours and traveled a distance of over 110 miles. She battled jellyfish, sharks, the sun and currents to accomplish this amazing feat.
This amazing accomplishment has a number of lessons for us all.
1. Don’t give up your dream. Even if you fail to accomplished what you set out to achieve the first time, try again. It may even takes several times, but don’t give up.
2. Learn from failures. Even if you don’t achieve your objective, you can learn and use that knowledge to your advantage on your next try.
3. Age is a number. You can accomplish your goals at any age, you are never too old or too young to accomplish something if you work hard and want it bad enough
4. It takes a team. It is ok to ask for help in achieving your goals and objectives. People love helping other people achieve their dreams and feel good about lending a hand.
5. Be yourself. There is no need to pretend to be someone you are not. Live your life, work hard and treat people as you would like to be treated and you can not only achieve your goals but also live a fulfilled life.
Diana Nyad is truly a remarkable woman. She is a role model for all of us hoping to achieve a dream.